Sunday, April 25, 2010

Old Dog views future...present

How did people of the generation who were born when horses were the most efficient mode of transportation and lived to see moon landings and cellular phones handle that shift in the world?

I wrote a web address on the chalkboard of my classroom. (yes, I know) I asked students to copy it down for future use. Then, in a moment of clarity, I announced," However you save information is fine with me. You may use your phone or any other devise." Wow, that was something that only this semester have I said before. Some students entered the address "the old fashioned way" in their phones. It was quaint. Then something new for me happened. A few students tried to photograph it but it was a long address and I had written it big enough where it spanned the entire length of the board. So they side stepped along its length shooting video. I saw it. I felt it. It frightened me.

When events like this occur, we should learn from them. I hope to get there. I will get there. For now, I'm still nervous.

1 comment:

  1. Russell,

    Think of how far you have come in one semester.

    I love your First Year Spanish Love Song videos that you posted on your wiki. My daughter is double majoring in Spanish at SWOSU and I immediately called her and told her to watch them. Of course she already knew about them, but we "watched" together over the phone and laughed and laughed.

    I then showed my son, and since he had the same high school spanish teacher, he too had seen the first one, but he hadn't seen the second one. He had absolutely no idea who Erik Estrada was, so we spent the next hour researching the famous actor from the 70's.

    Long story short (really it was long story long), your videos that you posted on your classroom Wiki gave me a couple of really enjoyable hours with my kids this weekend.

    Don't be nervous! Be proud!

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete