Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Grammar Safari

I found a support site called Grammar Safari. This site provides "grammar safari" activities wherein students "hunt' and "collect" specific common words as they are used in documents accessible on the internet. The process begins with a choice of either finding vocabulary or a grammar structure by one of two ways: 1.begin with a certain text and search for the vocabulary or grammar structure or 2.begin with the vocabulary or grammar structure and find a text in which it is contained.Then students can copy and paste the structures to a word document where they can be saved and tagged so that the source can be found later. The Grammar Safari website which is a project produced by the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champlain. Within the site are helpful hints on how to produce activities and already produced activities.
I played around with the site and found it interesting. I think that teachers can use this site for almost unlimited authentic text sources for ELL students. Student can view multiple examples of how structures are used in context to better gain understanding of proper usage. The activities make a game out of the search. Try it and let me know if this is something you feel you can use. I also see how teachers can customize lessons using Grammar Safari.http://www.iei.uiuc.edu/student_grammarsafari.html

4 comments:

  1. Hi, I also played around with this site and found it very useful! It is very useful for English Language learners like myself. Sometimes, when I want to know how to properly use a word, I will need a lot of examples for the usage of this word. So using Grammer Safari is a good way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This site would be useful for my dyslexic students. These students can speak grammatically correct sentences, but it gets lost in translation from their heads to the page. This site would provide a means for them to get extra practice at putting their thoughts onto paper correctly. Great site!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rusell, Xixi and Tracy I couldn't agree more with you!
    I check this site and I found it very interesting, not only for kids but I found it very useful for me. I can use it for checking the correct usage of the words, because sometime I got lost in translation too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Russell. For your great posting, I could find a excellent site linked Grammer Safari: the online books page, http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/lists.html. Those various online books are well organized in order of date. I am very excited to meet this site.

    ReplyDelete