Tuesday, May 4, 2010

This past weekend, May 1, Oklahoma Foreign Language Teachers' Association (OFLTA) held its annual spring conference. The conference was held at West Moore High School in Moore, Oklahoma. My thanks to Elise Robillard, World Languages Department Chair and OFLTA President, and all teachers, staff, and administrators of WHHS for hosting our
organization. Your facility is impressive.

In attendance were almost one hundred fifty world language teachers from around the state. Several Native American, Chinese, Latin, Spanish, French, Russian, and German languages were represented by educators who teach in elementary, middle, and high schools, tribal language revitalization programs and universities. A core group of
dedicated public servants. Good people.

Thursday night, prior to the conference, Elise called me with a problem. One of the presenters had just canceled. His baby decided to greet planet Earth a little earlier than expected. Congratulations to you sir. I hope all is well with your family.

So back to the problem...Elise asked me to fill the void...HMMM Why did I answer the phone? After a brief discussion, the deal was done. I would give a presentation at the conference. What would be the topic?

It was late, I was tired. Friday seemed a good day to ponder my predicament.

I taught classes all day. As the final bell rang, I hurried to WMHS to help with preparations for the conference. Elise and I decided on a title for my presentation. I will call it...Implementing Standards Based Technology in the World Languages Classroom. The words spilled out like skim milk from a sippy cup with the wrong lid. Sounded good but what do they mean? Individually and collectively, what do they mean? With my final duty done, a trip to Sam's Club for refreshments and potato chips, (I knew being a board member would be prestigious) I arrived home just in time to help my intrepid, beautiful, and most wonderful wife put our beloved children to bed.

It was late, I was tired. Saturday seemed a good day to ponder my predicament.

Six a.m. up and sort of at'em. OOF! Off to WMHS.

More to come....same bat time, same bat channel.

2 comments:

  1. You da bomb Russell! YOU CAN DO IT!!!

    Last week you didn't even know what Implementing Standards Based Technology in the World Languages Classroom meant and this week you are presenting it. See how amazing you are!!

    Please let us know how it turns out. Better yet, record and post your presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe You Can Do It, Russell! Don't worry. It has been organized for you!

    ^_^

    I also would like know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete